Hello Seniors & Senior Parents,
The time has come for you to turn your tassels! The purpose of this letter is to inform you of RCS’s graduation plan and senior activities intended to celebrate our 2020 graduating class.
Celebration Leading Up To Graduation
- Free Ice Cream sponsored by Hoppers Poppers!! During the week of May 11-15, RCS seniors may go to Hoppers Poppers and get one free scoop of ice cream. Student IDs would be helpful.
- RCS staff will deliver a graduation yard sign personally to your homes. Signs will be delivered the week of May 18. We are currently in the process of verifying addresses to ensure we deliver to the correct address.
- We will have Senior Spirit Week May 26 – 29.
- Tuesday - Tricia’s Tasty Tuesday Treat!! Sponsored by C/O 2020 parents. Stop by Tricia’s Espresso on Tuesday, May 26, from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m., to get a drink or pastry of your choice.
- Wednesday – “Guess the Graduate.” RCS will send senior baby pictures that have been submitted for our senior class to guess identities. Please check your email for a request to submit (Google form), and consider submitting a photo. The more photos that are submitted, the greater the challenge and fun.
- Thursday - #hatsoffto2020. Seniors will be provided a Senior Cap Template (not your RCS graduation cap). You can (appropriately) decorate your cap template to show off your creativity and individuality. Here are the directions for submissions. The decorated cap templates will be compiled into a collage that will be displayed at school during the 2020-2021 school year in a place designated by administration. All submissions will also be entered into a drawing for a prize. If you can not print, staff will deliver a template when dropping off your yard sign.
- Friday - SENIOR PARADE (details below)
RCS Virtual Graduation Ceremony
RCS has given a lot of thought to the 2020 commencement. There is great uncertainty if we’ll be able to conduct a face-to-face graduation, even if we delayed through the summer. With that in mind, we feel it is in our students’ and families’ best interest to move forward with graduation as scheduled on Friday, May 29, 2020. The graduation will include two components. There will be a virtual component paired with a modified face-to-face piece which includes a senior parade of cars.
- The Senior Parade – Escorted by the Sheriff’s Department and Roxboro Police Department, the graduates will be led from RCS, through Uptown Roxboro, on Madison Blvd, and back to RCS. Students must report to RCS by 5 p.m. on May 29. They will receive items from the Guidance Department and prepare for the parade at that time. Instruction will be forwarded so families know what space they should occupy in the Woody Lot (student lot). There can only be one car per family in the parade of cars. We encourage you to decorate your “parade car” to celebrate your senior graduate. The parade will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m. You will not be able to enter the parade once we line up, so please be on time. We request that the graduate be a passenger and sit opposite the driver in the front or rear of the vehicle. The parade will conclude back at RCS, where students will receive more items from RCS administration.
- Graduation – The graduation ceremony will be virtual. You will receive your virtual invitation from administration when you return to RCS from the parade. The ceremony will begin at 7:30 p.m, so you have time to transition home from the parade and forward instructions to access the ceremony to family and friends. Students will receive a second message about how you can assist administration with the virtual graduation.
This is definitely not RCS’s preference for your commencement ceremony, but we are excited about being able to honor our class of 2020 in this way. You are a valuable part of the RCS family. We hope these plans show you how much we want to make this event memorable and one that you cherish for years to come.